Gentse hutspot (Gent stew)
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 500 g boneless beef shank, in one piece
- * Stewing steak is fine for this if you cannot obtain shank.
- 250 g pigs trotters or ham hocks (optional)
- 125 g smoked, streaky bacon, in one piece
- 1 litre light beef stock or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, dark green parts removed, sliced
- 3 large sticks celery, diced
- ½ medium white cabbage, shredded
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Put the meats, seasonings, bay leaves and cloves in a pan with the stock or water and bring to the boil.
- Skim, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about three hours.
- Add the carrots, leeks and celery and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and the potatoes, simmering until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove and discard the pigs' trotters.
- Slice the beef and bacon and arrange them, with the vegetables on plates or serving platters.
- Serve the stock separately as a gravy.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.