Fried Chicken in Sweet Butter Sauce
Ayam Goreng Mentega - Fried Chicken in Sweet Butter Sauce.
I have adapted this recipe to my taste and more easily available European ingredients from a now inactive Wikibooks recipe of the same name.
- 1.3kg whole chicken, cut into small pieces (see here) - also cut each breasts into 3 pieces
- Oil for frying (corn oil, rapeseed oil, peanut oil etc.)
- Juice & zest from 1 lemon
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons of fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon molasses or black treacle
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Add the chicken pieces to a bowl , add the salt and citrus zest and juices and marinate in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours. I usually leave them overnight.
- Heat the oil, pat the chicken pieces dry and and fry chicken until they are golden, drain on kitchen paper and set to one side.
- Sauté the garlic and onion for a a few minutes, then add the remaining sauce ingredients.
- Stir fry for a minute and then add chicken pieces to reheat.
- Serve with plain boiled rice, garnished with slices of lime.
For a more authentic recipe:
- Use Chinese cooking wine instead of dry sherry
- Use 8 tbsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce, kecap manis instead of dark soy sauce & molasses.
For health reasons, I try to avoid frying whenever I can especially when there is already so much butter as in this recipe. As a healthy alternative, I sprayed the chicken pieces with a little olive oil and roasted them for about 35 minutes at 220°C (425°, Gas 7). They tasted just as nice!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.