Five Vegetable Pasta Sauce
This recipe was derived as a result of having so many spare vegetables sitting in the fridge. It makes a thick, rich sauce perfect with pasta. The recipe freezes well so the ingredients can be increased for later use or to increase servings.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small red onion
- ½ leek
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 small courgette
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Tomato puree
- ½ tablespoon Sun dried tomato puree (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Chop all of the vegetables fairly small, ½ inch cubes or smaller. It will save effort with the hand blender later and they will cook down quicker.
- Heat the oil in a large pan
- Fry the carrot first as ths will take longest
- Add the remaining veg, onion, leek, garlic, red pepper and courgette and cook until soft. about 10 minutes.
- Add the tin tomatoes, sugar, stock and purees and give another few minutes to bring back up to heat.
- Dried or fresh basil can be used, add at the last minute before blending. No need to chop first if using fresh.
- Using a hand blender straight in the pot is easiest although you can do this gradually in a worktop blender, blend until you reach a consistency you prefer.
- Freezes well and can be gradually defrosted from frozen on a low heat on the hob or in the microwave.
Thank you Kitchenminion, for a wonderful recipe idea. With the addition of a cheese topping, the ingredients shown served 2 people, for 2 days. The only changes I made were to microwave the carrots first and add a pinch of ancho chile powder.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.