Falafel with cucumber salad and pitta bread
For the Falafel
- 2 Medium white onions, quartered
- 3-4 Cloves garlic
- 2 x 410g/14½ oz Cans chick peas, drained
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- 25g/1oz Coriander leaves
- 25g/1oz Parsley
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Cucumber salad
- ½ Red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ Cucumber, deseeded, diced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 150g/5oz Natural yogurt
- 6 Pitta breads
- 2 Little gem lettuces, shredded
- 1 Red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra fresh coriander to garnish
- Finely chop the onion and garlic in a food processor.
- Add the chick peas, cumin, bicarbonate of soda and plenty of seasoning and blitz until a smooth paste.
- Take out of the processor and put into a bowl.
- Finely chop the coriander and parsley and stir into the chickpea mixture then press together into a ball.
- Take off dessertspoons of the mixture and mould into egg shaped ovals with your hands then roll in flour.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Mix the cucumber salad ingredients together and chill.
- Pour oil into a frying pan so that it is about 1 cm/½ inch deep, heat up then fry the falafel in batches, turning until crisp and golden brown.
- Lift out of the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Continue cooking the falafel in batches until all are cooked.
- Cook the pitta breads in a hot ridged frying pan or under the grill until puffy.
- Cut in half and fill with a little lettuce, spoonfuls of the cucumber salad and red onions.
- Garnish with extra coriander and serve immediately.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions
#falafel #coriander #cucumbersalad #bicarbonateofsoda #garlic #parsley #redonion #pittabreads #falafelwithcucumbersaladandpittabread #chickpeas #vegetableoil