Egg and bacon pizza
As with any pizza, it's up to you what you put in it. This one uses a spicy pizza topping with home smoked bacon, topped with an egg.
- 1 portion spicy tomato pizza topping (use a jar of shop-bought pizza sauce if you're stuck for time)
- 1 portion pizza dough - makes 2 pizzas
- 200 g (7 oz) mozzarella cheese (drained)
- 100 g good quality sliced meat (eg: prosciutto, salami, speck). I used 50g (2 oz) thinly sliced Home smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 fresh free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Fine yellow cornmeal for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 220° c (425° F - Gas 7)
- Make 1 pizza per person
- Dust the work surface with Fine yellow cornmeal
- Roll or stretch the pizza bases out. I'm not good at getting them into neat circles, as long as there is enough room for the topping, I'm happy.
- Prick the pizza all over with a fork. This prevents it puffing up too much and burning while it is cooking.
- Make the pizza up on a lightly greased, or lightly floured baking tray. It's very hard to transfer once made up, without a pizza peel.
- Divide the ingredients in two:
- Spread the tomato sauce over one the pizza
- Break the mozzarella into chunks and sprinkle over the sauce, followed by the capers, the sliced meat and half of the Parmesan cheese
- Break the egg in the centre of the pizza
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes - keeping your eye on it!
Serve hot or cold
Great with creamy coleslaw
For an even better, more authentic pizza, use a pizza stone.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.