Daube de Thon (tuna casserole)
This simple version is from Mauritius and is a good starting point for a more ambitious meal.
- 2 Lemons
- 4 slices of fresh tuna
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large tomatoes
- Sprig of parsley, chopped
- Sprig of thyme, leaves pinched from it
- 1 bay leaf
- Plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, butter or ghee for shallow frying
- Spring onions to garnish
- Make a marinade from the juice and zest of 2 lemons, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and a tablespoon of water
- Marinade, covered, in a cool place for 2 hours or longer
- Remove the tuna from the marinade and pat dry.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper
- Dip the fish in the seasoned flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over a high heat and add a grind of black pepper.
- Fry for 2 minutes per side.
- Set to one side and keep warm.
- Lower the heat and gently fry the onions until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs, tuna and marinade.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add a thumb of peeled and grated ginger to the marinade.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#marinade #tuna #lemons #flour #fry #tomatoes #plantains #blackpepper #dip #thyme #ghee