It is really for immediate consumption, though it should keep for a few weeks if stored in a cool, dark place.
- 1 cucumber
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 red chili chopped finely
- 3 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons water
- Using a speed peeler, shave strips of skin off the cucumber to leave a nice pattern
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and with a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds and discard them
- Cut into 1 cm slices
- Add the pickle ingredients to a bowl and mix well
- Place the cucumber slices in a Lock and Lock box and pour over the marinade
- Shake now and then to mix
Try different vinegars such as:
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.