Cuban guava barbecue sauce
Makes fab BBQ chicken
- 1 cup Goya guava paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ scotch bonnet chile pepper (or to taste), minced
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water, guava paste, vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lemon juice, onion, ginger, soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper into a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking until evenly blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce has slightly thickened and is richly flavoured, 10 to 15 minutes.
- The sauce should be pourable. If it has become too thick, thin it with some water.
Serve hot or cold.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#cubanguavabarbecuesauce #sauce #worcestershiresauce #soysauce #tomatopaste #lemonjuice #onion #simmer #freshginger #accompaniment #scotchbonnetpepper