Cuban guava barbecue sauce
- 1 cup Goya guava paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ scotch bonnet chile pepper (or to taste), minced
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water, guava paste, vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lemon juice, onion, ginger, soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper into a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking until evenly blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce has slightly thickened and is richly flavoured, 10 to 15 minutes.
- The sauce should be pourable. If it has become too thick, thin it with some water.
Serve hot or cold.
CubanCuisine.co.uk can provide all specialist items in this recipe via www.cubancuisine.co.uk, their recently updated Cuban ingredient supplies website. Just click on the product link in the recipe to take you to the Cookipedia ingredient description page from where you can order the item online via CubanCuisine.co.uk (worldwide deliveries)
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.