Creamy bread sauce with garlic
This creamy bread sauce recipe can be made well in advance and frozen for later use.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, coarsely chopped
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves, torn
- 568ml fresh whole milk
- 50g butter, plus knob of butter to finish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200g day old white bread, crusts removed
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- Tear the bay leaves in half
- Place the chopped onion, garlic, ground cloves, bay leaves in a small pan and add the milk and butter
- Season with black pepper
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the onion has softened (about 20 minutes)
- Remove from heat and leave to infuse for 2 hours or chill overnight
- Strain the liquid
- Roughly tear the bread into small pieces and stir into the milk
- Add the nutmeg and blend
- Heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in the cream and serve warm with a knob of butter to prevent a skin from forming
This can be made a week in advance and kept in the fridge.
It will keep for up to 3 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.