Creamy bread sauce with garlic
This creamy bread sauce recipe can be made well in advance and frozen for later use.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, coarsely chopped
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves, torn
- 568ml fresh whole milk
- 50g butter, plus knob of butter to finish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200g day old white bread, crusts removed
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- Tear the bay leaves in half
- Place the chopped onion, garlic, ground cloves, bay leaves in a small pan and add the milk and butter
- Season with black pepper
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the onion has softened (about 20 minutes)
- Remove from heat and leave to infuse for 2 hours or chill overnight
- Strain the liquid
- Roughly tear the bread into small pieces and stir into the milk
- Add the nutmeg and blend
- Heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in the cream and serve warm with a knob of butter to prevent a skin from forming
This can be made a week in advance and kept in the fridge.
It will keep for up to 3 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.