Cranberry and red onion relish
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Another onion relish recipe, this one courtesy of British Onions.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 red onions peeled and sliced
- Grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
- 2 cups (200g) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in medium saucepan and fry the onions gently until softened, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the orange rind and juice, and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cranberries to the saucepan with the sugar, wine vinegar, red wine vinegar and spices.
- Heat until just boiling and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer until syrupy, about 15 minutes.
- Pot the relish in �sterilised� small glass jars.
- Place a circle of greaseproof paper over the surface of each one, and then seal and label the jars.
- Decorate the lids with fabric or butter muslin and tie with string or ribbon.
- Make this relish 2 - 3 weeks before Christmas if you like.
- Remember to store it in the refrigerator after opening and use within 2 weeks.
- Other Onion relish recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions
#cranberryandredonionrelish #butter #cranberries #redwinevinegar #orange #onionrelish #juice #grated #refrigerator #muslin #simmer