- 225 g white crab meat
- 225 g brown crab meat
- 3 or more thick slices of stale wholemeal bread, crusts removed and made into breadcrumbs. A food processor with a metal blade is marvellous for this.
- 2 heaped tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heaped teaspoons hot English mustard or 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, mixed with a little water.
- Flour or cornmeal
- 2 beaten eggs
- 12 rounded tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 50 g butter
- Mix the crab, wholemeal breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce and English mustard thoroughly in a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and form into rounds of about 2 cm thick (see Chef's notes below).
- Put some flour on a plate, pour the egg onto another plate and the breadcrumbs onto a third plate.
- Dust the crab cakes firstly in flour, then coat in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Leave to rest in the freezer for an hour or so.
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan to a medium heat and cook the crab cakes for about 4 minutes on each side.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.