A great recipe for your home grown courgettes, though this time of year in the UK (February), they'll have to come from the supermarket.
This is another great recipe for your Ghent night.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 1kg (2lb) firm courgettes, skin on, washed and cut into thin rounds or julienned.
- Fine table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 free range eggs plus 1 free-range egg yolk
- 75g of your favourite hard cheese, or a mixture of, grated: ( eg: Parmesan cheese, Jarlsberg cheese, mature Cheddar cheese, Gruyère cheese)
- 5 tablespoons cooked white rice, I prefer basmati rice for this as it has a nice flavour
- 2 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
- Add the courgettes to a colander and shake a few tsp of salt evenly over them to extract some of the excess liquid which will spoil the gratin.
- Leave for 30 minutes then rinse well and, let them drain for few minutes, then gently squeeze any more excess liquid from them. I managed nearly a pint of drained liquid from 1 kg of courgettes!
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a wok or frying pan
- Add a good grind of black pepper and then sauté the onions for 5 minutes until softened, don't brown them. Stir in the crushed garlic of the last minute just to cook the roughness from it
- Reserve the onions and garlic to a large mixing bowl and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and when nice and hot, sauté the courgettes until softened, about 12 minutes
- Add all of the eggs to a the mixing bowl holding the onions and garlic and beat with a fork
- Mix in the cooked rice into the courgettes to absorb the oil, and add to the egg mixture together with 50 g of the grated cheese, onions and garlic
- If the courgettes are very hot, leave them for 15 minutes to cook or you might end up with un-pourable scrambled eggs when you mix them in.
- Season with a little black pepper
- Pour the mixture into a shallow gratin dish and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes
Allow to cool a little so it can be served warm and serve, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.
Even after rinsing the courgettes well, there is still a tiny hint of salt in this dish so you won't want to add any extra salt as seasoning.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.