Corn tortilla recipe (V)
- Mix the salt, masa harina and half of the water together to form a dough
- Add more water as required - you are looking for a stiff, pliable dough
- This can be done in a food processor or even better, use a breadmaker on dough setting. The Panasonic SD 253 and similar models have a 45 minute pizza dough setting that is perfect for tortilla dough.
- Rest for at least 1 hour then shape into 10 equal sized balls.
- Using a tortilla press or rolling pin, place a ball of dough between two non-stick sheets (Bake-O-Glide or similar) and press into shape
- Heat a frying pan to a medium high temperature (but with no oil).
- Cook each tortilla on one side for 15 seconds.
- Turn and cook for 45 seconds.
- Turn again and cook for a further 15 seconds.
- They should have brown speckles.
Can be eaten as they are, fried, wrapped around beans etc.
Use as suggested in your recipe
If you don't have a tortilla press, use 2 chopping boards or just two sheets of wood as a substitute. Place ball of dough between two non-stick surfaces such as small squares of Bake-O-Glide and stand on them!
See the Tortilla Press page for UK suppliers.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#tortillapress #masaharina #dough #beans #chillipowder #tortillas #garlicpowder #rollingpin #cornmeal #corntortillas #breadmaker