Chilli and garlic bread
- 450g Waitrose Very Strong Canadian Wholemeal Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried chilli flakes
- Garlic to taste, diced (I used Waitrose Cook's Ingredients frozen garlic)
- 15g fresh, or 7g (1½ teaspoon) fast action dried yeast
- 300ml lukewarm water
- If using fresh yeast, activate it in the water.
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the water (and yeast, if using fresh).
- Gradually incorporate the water and knead for 10-15 minutes, or 5 minutes if using a machine with a dough hook.
- Leave to rise until double its size in a bowl, covered with oiled cling film.
- Knock back and repeat the kneading and rising process.
- Bake at 230° C (450° F - gas 8), [fan oven 210° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] for 30-45 minutes until it is done.
- Turn out of the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Very strong Canadian bread flour can also be obtained online from various flour mills and in theory Sainsbury's sell it, but I never seen it in either of our local ones, nor I have ever had it delivered when I have ordered it online from them.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.