Chicken stock (2)
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1 kg of mixed bones (I used about 1.3 kg of frozen bones)
- 400 g each (after cleaning and peeling) of leeks and carrots, cut into chunks
- Few sprigs of parsley
- Celery leaves and celery - quantity depends on how leafy your celery is
- 6 bulbs of garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled.
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 white peppercorns
- 6 blades of mace
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3.5 litres bottled or filtered water - this reduces the need for skimming
- Place all of the ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 3.5 hours.
- Strain through a colander.
- Strain again through a colander which has been lined with cheesecloth.
- Return stock to washed out pan and leave until cool.
- Place in fridge overnight and then remove the fat which will have hardened on the top.
- Bring to the boil again and allow to cool somewhat.
- Pour into 4 Lock&Lock or other containers and allow to go completely cool.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Remove any surplus fat that may and will have risen to the surface, then freeze.
- When you come to use the stock, filter it again, using the method given for ice filtered consommé.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.