Chicken curry (1)
This was one of the first curries that I learnt to make a an Indian cookery evening class, many, many years ago.
It freezes well and is scalable by multiplying the ingredient quantities.
- 6 chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks or breast)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) cinnamon stick, ground
- 3 cloves. ground* 2 garlic cloves
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) fresh ginger (crushed or grated)
- 50g of block creamed coconut
- ½ tin tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- corn oil or ghee
- ½ cup chicken stock or hot water
- Put 1 tablespoon of ghee in a pot and fry onions 'till slightly brown
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for a few minutes. Don't burn the garlic
- Reduce heat and add all the spices and fry for a few minutes
- Add chicken portions and fry for a few minutes
- Add ½ cup of stock or water, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes
- Add the creamed coconut and tomato puree and stir until the coconut has mixed well.
Add boiled cubed potatoes at the end
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#garlic #tomatopuree #turmeric #chillies #chickenstock #cumin #boiledorsimmered #cinnamon #pulaorice #clarification #coriander