Chicken bog recipe
Wasn't sure what this would be like
..but it's nice - rather like a very good chicken soup. - The Judge
Chicken bog is made in different ways in different places, but it is perhaps found most often in the Pee Dee and Low country regions of South Carolina.
- 1 very large whole chicken 2.2kg to 2.7 kg (5lb to 6 lb)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 110g (4 oz) butter
- 900 g (2 lb) long grain white rice (basmati rice is good)
- 110g (4 oz) bacon
- 6 cups (1.5 litres / 2.6 pints) chicken stock / chicken broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the parson's nose from the chicken.
- Use a heavy pot with lid (use lid while cooking for all steps except the bacon.)
- Put chicken in pot and cover with hot water. Be sure there is enough water so that there will be at least six cups of broth after cooking chicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is very tender (an hour or more).
- While the chicken is cooking: Slice and chop one bell pepper into very small pieces. Put 4 cups of rice into a bowl, cover with cold water and let soak.
- When chicken is very tender, remove pot from stove and let cool until the chicken can be handled.
- Take chicken from pot, and pull meat from bones in large pieces; do not cut it up. Discard any fat heavy skin.
- Pour broth from pot into a bowl (if chicken was very fat and broth is very fat, pour off about 1 cup of fat from broth).
- Wash pot, then put bacon in pot and cook slowly until bacon is crisp.
- Take bacon from pot and drain; leave bacon grease in pot.
- Put in chopped onion, green pepper and brown slightly.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth to pot, and season to taste with salt and pepper (at least a tablespoon of each -- use a heavy hand since rice will absorb salt).
- Increase heat, bring broth to a boil, and put chicken in pot.
- Drain rice and put rice in pot.
- Add the butter and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer very slowly for about an hour.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #bacon #chickenbogrecipe #broth #rice #butter #simmer #onion #boil #fat #spices