Chicken bog recipe
Chicken bog is made in different ways in different places, but it is perhaps found most often in the Pee Dee and Low country regions of South Carolina.
- 1 very large whole chicken 2.2kg to 2.7 kg (5lb to 6 lb)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 110g (4 oz) butter
- 900 g (2 lb) long grain white rice (basmati rice is good)
- 110g (4 oz) bacon
- 6 cups (1.5 litres / 2.6 pints) chicken stock / chicken broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the parson's nose from the chicken.
- Use a heavy pot with lid (use lid while cooking for all steps except the bacon.)
- Put chicken in pot and cover with hot water. Be sure there is enough water so that there will be at least six cups of broth after cooking chicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is very tender (an hour or more).
- While the chicken is cooking: Slice and chop one bell pepper into very small pieces. Put 4 cups of rice into a bowl, cover with cold water and let soak.
- When chicken is very tender, remove pot from stove and let cool until the chicken can be handled.
- Take chicken from pot, and pull meat from bones in large pieces; do not cut it up. Discard any fat heavy skin.
- Pour broth from pot into a bowl (if chicken was very fat and broth is very fat, pour off about 1 cup of fat from broth).
- Wash pot, then put bacon in pot and cook slowly until bacon is crisp.
- Take bacon from pot and drain; leave bacon grease in pot.
- Put in chopped onion, green pepper and brown slightly.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth to pot, and season to taste with salt and pepper (at least a tablespoon of each -- use a heavy hand since rice will absorb salt).
- Increase heat, bring broth to a boil, and put chicken in pot.
- Drain rice and put rice in pot.
- Add the butter and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer very slowly for about an hour.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #bacon #chickenbogrecipe #broth #rice #butter #simmer #onion #boil #fat #spices