Carrots with cumin and orange
A Perfect Match
Onions are good with this too. All earthy flavours. - Jerry
Carrots, cooked or raw lend great colour to any dish, this recipe adds a glaze and a spicy note too.
For a bit of fun, see how they were done in Mrs Beeton's day!
- 450 g (1 lb) carrots
- Seeds from 2 cardamom pods (white or brown)
- 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 6 big sprigs of thyme, tied with kitchen string
- Grated zest from 1 whole orange
- 75 g (3 oz) butter
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub the carrots and chop into slices, 1 cm (½") thick
- Heat a small frying pan, with no oil and gently dry-fry the cumin and cardamom until they release their aroma
- Add the olive oil, butter, carrots, garlic, thyme and the spices to a large saucepan and sweat the carrots, uncovered, for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with sugar and cook for 3 more minutes
- Sprinkle the orange zest over the carrots, cover and continue to cook until they are to your liking, adding a sprinkle of water if neeeded
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve hot
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#carrots #butter #carrotswithcuminandorange #oliveoil #thyme #garlic #kitchenstring #cardamompods #orange #cuminseeds #cumin