Boiled carrots (Mrs Beeton's)
This recipe is here for a bit of fun. The recommended cooking times are unbelievable. I'm surprised that there would be anything left after boiling for an hour and a half! This would be how to make carrot puree. Anyway, this is how it would have been done in her day!
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- Cut off the green tops, wash and scrape the carrots, and remove any black specks.
- If the carrots are very large, cut them in halves , divide them lengthwise into four pieces and put them into boiling water, salted in the above proportion;
- Let them boil until tender which may be ascertained by piercing the carrots with a fork, then drain well
- Young carrots should be boiled whole
- Young carrots, about half an hour
- Old ones from 1 hour to 1 and a half hours
- Allow 1lb for 2 or 3 persons
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.