Boiled carrots (Mrs Beeton's)
This recipe is here for a bit of fun. The recommended cooking times are unbelievable. I'm surprised that there would be anything left after boiling for an hour and a half! This would be how to make carrot puree. Anyway, this is how it would have been done in her day!
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- Cut off the green tops, wash and scrape the carrots, and remove any black specks.
- If the carrots are very large, cut them in halves , divide them lengthwise into four pieces and put them into boiling water, salted in the above proportion;
- Let them boil until tender which may be ascertained by piercing the carrots with a fork, then drain well
- Young carrots should be boiled whole
- Young carrots, about half an hour
- Old ones from 1 hour to 1 and a half hours
- Allow 1lb for 2 or 3 persons
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.