Butternut squash bisque
As autumn approaches we always have a glut of squashes so this is a good use to put them to.
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 25 g (2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 450 g (1 lb) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) chicken stock
- 225 g (8 oz) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 120 ml ( 4 fl oz) Greek-style yogurt, single cream or creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or chopped parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and saute the onions until soft, about 4 minutes
- Add the squash, potatoes, stock and paprika, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft
- Allow to cool a little and then pour the mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Season with salt and pepper
- Reheat and stir in the cream and chives or parsley
Type of squash
This time I did not use an actual butternut squash but the (unknown) type pictured here, it was just as good!
I did not have enough 'proper' chicken stock so I cheated and used one and a half Knorr chicken stock cubes in 2 pints of boiling water and I have to say the soup was still exquisite.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.