Berliner eisbein (Pork knuckle with split peas and sauerkraut)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
For the pork:
For the sauerkraut:
- 50 g dripping
- 1 onion, chopped
- 800 g sauerkraut
- A few caraway seeds and juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
For the pease pudding:
- 450 g split yellow peas, soaked overnight
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Piece of lemon peel
- 110 g smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 30 g dripping
- Wash the pork and simmer in water with the spices, onion and bay leaf. This will probably take 2 to 3 hours to cook.
- Heat the dripping and brown the onion. Add the remaining sauerkraut ingredients and some of the stock from the pork.
- Cook gently over a low heat for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bring peas, one of the onions, lemon peel and the garlic to the boil in a pan to which sufficient water has been added.
- Simmer, covered for about 2 hours.
- Strain through a sieve.
- Fry the bacon and remaining onion in the dripping, and add to the pease pudding.
Serve with boiled potatoes.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#pork #onion #sauerkraut #dripping #peasepudding #bayleaf #lemonpeel #onions #peas #smokedbacon #juniperberries