A traditional Greek dish, specifically from Corfu, I believe. Slow cooked for tenderness.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 g braising steak
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 250 ml red wine
- 250 g baby carrots, scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- a good pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 large (400 g) cans tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Preheat the oven to 150° C (300° F - gas 2)
- In a large oven proof dish, heat the olive oil and brown the meat for 5 minutes, remove and reserve. Do this in small batches or you will just end up with boiled meat.
- Add the shallots to the pan and sauté for 4 minutes to colour
- Return the beef to the dish and deglaze the pan with the wine and a wooden spatula
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well
- So there is a really good seal, cover with tin-foil then replace the lid
- Place in the oven and slow-cook for 3½ hours
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.