Basic sauce for making curries
(Redirected from Basic sauce for making curries recipe)
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 950 g or about 8 cooking onions, thinly sliced
- 175 g (about 3-4 bulbs) garlic, diced
- 50 g ginger, peeled and diced
- 1.5 litres water
- 2 good teaspoons salt
- 1 additional tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon chilli
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes, puréed
- Heat the oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion slices and fry for about 10 minutes, until they are starting to brown, and even stick slightly.
- Stir vigorously, add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further few minutes until softened.
- Add the water and blend thoroughly - the mixture must be absolutely smooth.
- Add the salt, bring to the boil and turn down the heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for 40-45 minutes and allow to cool.
- If you wish to freeze the sauce, do so at this stage.
- Meanwhile, heat the 1 additional tablespoon vegetable oil in a clean pan, add the spices and tomato purée cook for about a minute - no longer.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil , reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Skim, allow to cool and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Combine spices to your taste.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#vegetableoil #ginger #basicsauceformakingcurries #garlic #tomatoes #sauce #curries #chilli #boiledorsimmered #cumin #coriander