Basa in red chilli chutney
This is a variation on Fish in red chilli chutney taken from Mr Pushpash Pent's wonderful "India" recipe book: ISBN 978-0714859026.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
red chilli paste
- 3 dried Chile de Arbole
- 40g (1.5 oz) desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon of coconut block dissolved in a tablespoon of boiling water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (no more)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the fillets well on both sides.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or more to allow the flavours to mingle. The longer, the better!
- Add the chilles, desiccated coconut and vinegar, salt & vegetable oil to a food processor or mortar and pestle and grind to a fine paste.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a little water, drop-by-drop.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and stir-fry the chilli paste for a minute or so.
- Reduce the heat and add the basa and 120 ml of hot water.
- Simmer vigorously for 8 minutes or until the fish flakes easily and most of the liquid has been reduced.
- Idea taken from Mr Pushpash Pent's wonderful "India": ISBN 978-0714859026.
Any firm bodied fish fillets
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.