Balaton fogas (HC)
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 240g [12 oz] fogas fillet
- 85 g [3 oz] butter
- 170g [6 oz] spinach
- 250g [9 oz] potatoes
- 55g [2 oz] flour
- 18g [⅔ oz] grated cheese
- 140 ml [1 gill] single cream
- 350 ml [2½ gills] milk
- 140 ml[1 gill] white wine
- 4 free range eggs
- Salt, nutmeg
- Boil the potatoes, rub them through a sieve, mix with 2 eggs, ⅔ oz [18 g] butter and a little salt and season with nutmeg.
- Take a dish large enough for two persons.
- Squeeze the potatoes through a funnel on the circumference of the dish.
- Boil the spinach leaves and put them in a layer in the middle of the dish.
- Lay the fogas fillet which has been fired in lard or butter on the spinach, cover with Béchamel sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake in the oven.
- Béchamel sauce: Make a roux of an ounce [30g] of flour and an ounce and a half [45 g] of melted butter and thin with warm milk. Let it boil up, the add the yolks of two eggs, the cream and the rest of the fogas stock and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#butter #spinach #potatoes #nutmeg #flour #cheese #boil #bake #fish #zander #eggs