Baked herrings and tomatoes (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 level teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 herrings, cleaned and boned
- 8 oz fresh tomatoes, fresh or bottled
- 1 onion, very finely sliced
- ½ - 1 level teaspoon salt
- ¼ level teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons stock in vegetable water
- Mix the mustard and vinegar together
- Open the herrings out flat, cut each into three pieces and spread with the mustard
- Arrange the tomatoes (skinned and sliced if fresh), herrings and onion in layers in an ovenproof dish
- Sprinkle each layer with seasoning and pour over the stock
- Bake in a very moderate oven (180° C / 350° F / Gas 4) for ¾ hour
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.