Australian meat pie recipe
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Australian meat pie)
These recipe quantities will make 4 individual pie or one very large pie.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g [1 lb 2 oz] minced beef
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) beef stock made from 1 Oxo cube
- 48 ml (1/3 cup Heinz tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 roll shortcrust pastry (freeze what you don't use)
- 1 roll puff pastry (freeze what you don't use)
for the egg wash
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok.
- Add a grind of black pepper to the oil.
- Sauté the onions for 4 minutes over a medium heat to soften them
- Add the mince and turn up the heat to brown the meat. This should take about 5 minutes. Stir it often do it does not burn.
- Reduce the heat and sprinkle the flour over the meat and mix well.
- Add the beef stock and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Add the tomato sauce and parsley, bring to a simmer, cover and heat for 10 minutes, stirring now and then to ensure it does not stick.
- Allow the filling to cool for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour].
- Use a large saucer as a template to cut out the base of the pies from the shortcrust pastry.
- Use the same saucer to cut out the lids from the puff pastry.
- Line 4 greased pie tins with the shortcrust pastry and press into shape with your fingers. Moisten the edges a little to help the lid seal.
- Add the filling and cover with the puff pastry. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges to make a good seal.
- Trim and discard any excess pastry.
- Make a little nick in the center of the lid to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pies in the center of the oven for 10 minutes at 200° C (400° F - gas 6), then reduce the heat to 180° C (350° F - gas 4) and bake for the final 20 minutes
Serve hot with extra tomato sauce.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.