- 680g (1½lb) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 255g (9oz) Homemade sweet shortcrust pastry
- 75g (3oz) Soft brown sugar
- 25g (1oz) butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix the brown sugar, ground cinnamon and flour together into a bowl
- Place a layer of apple slices in the base of a 900ml (1½ pint) pie dish
- Sprinkle over with some of the sugar, cinnamon and flour
- Repeat the layers until the dish is filled
- Dab the butter over the apples.
- Roll out the pastry until just larger than the pie dish
- Cover the dish with the pastry
- Decorate with any pastry scraps and cut a few slits in the top
- Brush with water and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes
Serve hot or cold, with custard
- Use a mix of Bramley apples and Coxes apples
- Add a tablespoon of chopped stem ginger
- Add 100 g of wild blackberries. Don't bother with bland shop-bought rubbish
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.