Anticuchos de corazon
Anticuchos can be readily found on streetcarts and street food stalls (anticucheras). The meat may be marinated in vinegar and spices (such as cumin, aji pepper and garlic), and while anticuchos can be made of any type of meat, the most popular are made of beef heart (anticuchos de corazon). Anticuchos often come with a boiled potato on the end of the skewer.
- 1 Beef heart
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ of a cup ground spicy red chili
- 2 cups of malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of achiote (annatto)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Place all the above ingredients, other than the heart, in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Clean the heart, removing all fat. Cut into bite size cubes. Place the heart pieces into the marinade mixture and leave to marinate for about 10 hours or overnight. The heart should be completely covered.
- After marinating, insert meat on skewers. At this stage if desired , some additional ingredients such as green pepper or red pepper (capsicum) or corn-on-cob (cut to a similar size to the heart, may be also inserted on the skewers.)
- The skewered heart should then be cooked on a barbecue grill, turning frequently and brushing with the marinade mix. When they are well done they should be served immediately.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.