Allioli a la Catalana (V)
This recipe is for the traditional hand-made allioli (Garlic mayonnaise). If you don't have 20 minutes of mortar and pestle time available, you might want to take the short-cut and try our garlic sauce recipe that uses an electric mixer. However if you have the time and need some therapy, read on
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- A pinch of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice from ¼ of a large lemon
- 1.5 cups of Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- Add the salt and garlic cloves to a large round mortar and smash the cloves into a smooth paste
- Add the lemon juice to the garlic paste
- Then, drop-by-drop, add the olive oil, crushing the paste, turning the mortar as you go
- Don't add the next drops of olive oil until the last have been completely amalgamated into the paste
- After about 20 minutes you should have a sauce the consistency of a very thick mayonnaise.
- If it is too thick, you can add a drop or two of water to thin it out
Don't add the oil too quickly.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.