Spiced onion jam
Revision as of 11:31, 24 December 2012 by Chef
A savoury chutney, courtesy of British Onions.
- 1.5kg red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g golden caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes, a few sprigs of thyme
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 1 glass red wine
- ½ glass port
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan.
- Cook the onions really slowly over a low heat for 30 minutes or until they have softened so much that they have become caramelized.
- Add the sugar, chilli and thyme and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour over the wine vinegar, red wine and port and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring every so often.
- You want the onions to become a deep red colour and there to only be a small pool of liquid floating around the bottom of the pan and when you draw a wooden spoon through the jam a path clears before filling again with syrupy juices.
- Cool the onions in the pan then fill sterilized jam jars with the mixture.
- It can be eaten straight away but tastes really great when it has had a couple of weeks to mature.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions