Cuban congris (red beans and rice) Stuffed in a marrow
Here is a simple inexpensive recipe that works really well using a normal garden marrow.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 small pimento, chopped fine
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 cans of red beans
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon Goya Adobo with Habanero or for a less spicy, but savoury choice, try Goya Sazonador Total
- Saute' onion until soft. Stir in the remaining ingredients. bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce and simmer until most of the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes
- Cut a marrow lengthwise and remove seeds, leaving a well in each piece.
- Place half cooked congri in marrow.
- Bake until marrow is soft - about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Add cheese if wanted and some Salsa Nativo Hot Sauce with 10 minutes to go in the baking
- Heat the remaining rice and beans to serve as a side dish with the marrow.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
#marrow #onion #baking #habanero #sidedish #pimento #simmer #saute #riceandbeans #cheese #vegetableoil