Vlaamse osselappen (Flemish beef)
- 35g butter
- 625g Braising steak, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 35g flour
- 500ml beer (I used Boddingtons)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed
- 1 tablespoon French or dijon mustard
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the beef and lightly brown over a hight heat.
- Remove the meat and reserve.
- Sauté the onions in the same butter until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook until it is light brown.
- Gradually add the beer until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Add the meat, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, sugar vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and allow the meat to simmer slowly for 1 hour.
- Spread the bread with the mustard and place in the pan.
- Cover and simmer for a further hour.
Add garlic as well as onions
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#butter #beer #simmer #beef #onions #flour #bayleaf #parsley #driedthyme #vinegar #bread