Vanilla fudge recipe
- Oil for greasing
- 284 ml (1/2 pint) Milk
- 310 g (11 oz) caster sugar
- 110 g (4 oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease an 18 cm (7") baking tray.
- In a large (see footnote <ref>If possible, use a pan at least four times the volume of the mixture; if using a smaller pan, the mixture must be heated more slowly to avoid it boiling over and so will take much longer (30-40 min) to reach the soft-ball stage </ref> below) heavy-based/thick-bottomed pan, add the milk, sugar and butter.
- Heat gently, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage - 116°C (240 ° F) on a sugar thermometer, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and it loses its shine.
- Pour into the baking tray tin and leave to set at room temperature. Don't refrigerate.
- Once it has set, cut the fudge into bite-sized squares and store in an air-tight container.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.