Tandoori chicken pizza
Following the recent scare over processed meat, I felt less inclined to use chorizo sausages for our regular homemade pizza so I thought I would use fresh chicken breasts and flavour them with a pseudo-tandoori flavouring instead. This does take quite a while to prepare, but only takes a few minutes of your time over a long period. If you want to cheat even more, then use a packet of pre cooked tandoori chicken that most supermarkets sell. Of course if you want to go the whole-hog, you can make everything from scratch with this chicken tikka recipe.
I would normally skewer and grill the chicken as the pieces are too small to sit over the grid on a grill pan but as the skewers could not be found at the last minute I pan fried the chicken instead. Just cook on a high heat until most of the liquid cooks off.
for the tandoori chicken
- 1 pack pre cooked tandoori chicken pieces
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry paste / Patak's Madras paste / Patak's vindaloo paste etc.
- 1 small pot yogurt
for the pizza topping - 2 pizzas
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Half a small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the chicken very thinly, add to a bowl with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a good pinch of salt. Leave for 1 hour.
- Mix whatever curry paste you are using into a pot of yogurt
- Stir this in to the chicken pieces and leave in a cool place to marinade for 2 or 3 hours
- Make the pizza dough as instructed
- If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone under a very hot grill for about 20 minutes. Place it about 8cm (3") from the heat source.
- Cook the chicken whichever way you please: skewered and grilled or barbecued or even pan fried, picking the chicken pieces out of the marinade leaving some of the marinade on the chicken, most of it will cook off.
- Pan fried tandoori chicken
- Make 1 pizza per person
- Dust your work surface with fine yellow cornmeal
- Divide the pizza dough into two and roll out into two thin 25.5 cm (10 inch) pizzas
- You can leave them in a warm place for an hour or so to rise. I quite like them cooked immediately they are rolled out for a more crispy finish.
- Prick the pizza all over with a fork. This prevents it puffing up too much and burning while it is cooking
- With a deft move, slide the pizza from the pizza peel, on to the preheated pizza stone.
- Cook on one side only for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Repeat for the other side.
- Remove from the oven and add the cooked chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes, a few onion rings and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Return to the oven and cook until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Repeat for the second pizza whilst you prepare the first.
- Keep the first pizza warm at the bottom of the oven whilst you make the second.
Serve with one of these cole slaw recipes.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.