Spicy tomato chutney
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 1 kg (2 lb) large tomatoes
- 175 g (6 oz) jaggery or brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 4 cloves, crushed to powder
- 2.5 cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 25 g (1 oz) grated onion
- Use ripe, undamaged tomatoes
- Place in a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave for 3 minutes then drain and peel the tomatoes
- Add everything but the keep whole ingredients to a food processor and pulse until you get to your desired consistency
- Add the puree to a pan, add the keep whole ingredients and heat, stirring often, until the chutney thickens
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and allow to cool completely
- Pack into sterilised bottles and store in a dark, cool place
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#spicytomatochutney #tomatoes #chutney #bayleaves #grated #tomato #chilipowder #brownsugar #onion #sterilised #raisins