Spicy chickpeas (V)
Having just tasted this, with a fairly rough blend, it tastes somewhat like spicy roasted peanuts. Yum!
- 120 g (4.5 oz) dried chick peas (60 g per person)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, bruised in a pestle and mortar
- 2 teaspoons black cumin seeds, bruised in a pestle and mortar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Soak the chickpeas in cold water for at least 24 hours, rinsing now and then
- Drain the soaked chickpeas
- Add to a large pas of unsalted boiling water. Add any salt after the cooking process otherwise the chickpeas (or any pulses) will harden.
- Boil for about an hour. Test a few to check they are done. The longer they soak for, the less cooking time they will need).
- Drain and allow to cool. Reserve a little liquid in case you need to 'soften' the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the spices until they pop.
- Add the chopped onions and fry for 6 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas stir and remove from the heat.
- Add the contents to a food processor and blitz to your desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste. Add a little of the cooking water if the mixture is too dry.
Sustitute just about any spices to this so it suits your taste.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.