Soused herrings (MoF)
From the Ministry of Food leaflet "All about Herrings" - reprinted in 1948!
Mum had circled this recipe.
- 8 herrings, cleaned and boned
- 4oz onion, sliced
- 1 level tablespoon of mixed pickling spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- ½ pint vinegar
- ½ pint water
- Roll up the fish with a slice of onion inside each one
- Place in a baking dish
- Scatter the pickling spices between the rolls and put in the bay leaf, then add the remaining onion
- Sprinkle the salt over all the fish and pour in the vinegar and water which have been mixed together. Bake in a slow oven (150° C / 300° F / Gas 2) for 1 ¼ hours
Serve hot or cold
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.