Sous vide spatchcock chicken with bulb fennel orange and onion
2/5 Don't waste your time making this! The Judge
I thought I would make a sous vide version of one of my favourite recipes; Spatchcocked chicken with fennel and onions. I've used an orange instead of a lemon. As sous vide cooking tends to intensify the flavours I removed all of the bitter pith by cutting off with the rind and just including a few strips of lemon zest.
Not as good as expected
This was inferior to the roast version. I felt it was overcooked with a mushy mouthfeel. It was still nice, but not worth all the extra effort.
I will redo shortly, leaving the skin on, adding garlic butter and without peeling the orange. We'll get there in the end!
- 1.5kg (medium-sized) whole chicken
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 whole orange
- A pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the sous vide bath to 71°C (159.8°F)
- Remove the parson's nose and spatchcock the chicken, skin the chicken and trim and discard as much fat as you can. I've also snipped the wing-tips and removed any obvious stray bones.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drop into a suitable sized sous-vide bag. My widest bag, cut to 30cm [12"] was plenty large enough.
- Remove the core from the fennel bulb and roughly chop.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Reserve a few strips of zest from the orange, then use a knife to remove the pith and skin. Discard.
- Quarter the orange and add to the bag, together with the zest, chopped fennel and onion.
- Vacuum seal and cook in a sous vide bath at 71°C (159.8°F) for 8 hours.
- I tend to discard the orange, most of the onion and fennel, using the remnants and the cooking liquor to flavour the gravy. Chicken gravy granules is a good cheat for the gravy!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#orange #sousvidespatchcockchickenwithbulbfennelorangeandonion #onion #chicken #zest #sousvidecooking #sousvidebath #fennelbulb #fennel #gravy #liquor