Puerco en naranja
- 1.5 kg pork shoulder
- 6 fat garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- sea salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 12 peppercorns, crushed
- 3 large oranges
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar or to taste
- Remove and discard rind and large amounts of excess fat
- Stab the meat all over with a small sharp knife or cut a shallow cross-hatch pattern in the flesh
- Make a paste with the juice of 1 orange together with the garlic, peppercorns, oregano and salt, reserving the orange skin
- Rub this mixture all over the pork and leave to marinade overnight in a cool place
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Place the pork into a casserole or Dutch oven
- Squeeze the juice of the second orange over the meat and cover with the skins of the two oranges and a layer of tin-foil. cover with a lid and roast for 2 hours
- Drain all of the juices and reserve, discard the orange skins.
- Turn the meat over, add back 3 tablespoons of the juices and roast uncovered for 30 minutes, basting now and then. Add more of the reserved juices if it's drying out.
- Now drain all of the juices and reserve.
- Roast for a further 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove the joint from the roasting tray, cover and rest while you complete the sauce.
- Skim the reserved juices of any fat.
- Add all of the juices and the brown sugar to the roasting tray
- Heat and reduce, stirring all the time.
Add a few teaspoons of recado de achiote powder for colour and extra flavour.
If you are using a smaller joint, I would still use the same quantity of marinade ingredients.
Refrigerate any leftovers in a Lock & Lock box . The meat makes wonderful sandwiches!
- Many of our other slow roast recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#puercoennaranja #juice #fat #roast #oranges #roastingtray #orange #pork #peppercorns #brownsugar #dutchoven