Pato asado estilo la selva (Roast duck jungle style)
This recipe comes from the city of Iquitos in Peru.
- 1 duck weighing 1.8 kg, skin loosened and fat removed, and cut into 8 pieces; See here for a similar procedure
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ripe large plantain, peeled and cut diagonally into 8 slices
- 360 ml water or stock
- In a large pan, stir-fry the duck in the oil with the turmeric over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, salt, nutmeg and cumin and mix well.
- Cover the pan and allow the steam to produce some liquid.
- Add the plantain and the water or stock.
- Simmer, covered, over a low heat for about an hour, until the duck is tender and there is a small amount of sauce.
Serve warm, with rice and Salsa criolla.
You could try this recipe using any firm-fleshed meat.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.