Onion relish (1)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
A nice spicy relish that is a good accompaniment to most spicy dishes.
- 2 fresh red chillies ( or 1 red and 1 green)
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 medium white onions
- 100ml (3.5 fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) cider vinegar
- Sea salt
- Roast the chillies as described here
- In a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder, grind the allspice, peppercorns and oregano until coarsely ground
- Slice the onions very thinly (a food processor is good for this) . Add to a bowl
- Skin and de-seed the chillies, slice finely and mix into the onions
- Stir in the spices and the crushed garlic and mix well
- Add the vinegars and season with salt
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours to allow the flavours to mingle
- Other Onion relish recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#onions #chillies #oregano #coffeegrinder #cidervinegar #vinegars #redchillies #roastedredpepper #peppercorns #onionrelish #foodprocessor