Not-for-wimps garlic mayonnaise
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 2 bulbs of garlic, peeled and mashed
- 2 large or 3 small raw egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons Maille au poivre vert or Dijon mustard mixed with a few finely ground green peppercorns
- 250 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 250 ml cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Throughly mix the garlic, egg yolks and mustard with a teaspoon of oil.
- Begin to add the oils, drop by drop to the mixture, constantly mixing, until it starts to thicken.
- At this stage you can gradually increase the flow of oil and keep mixing until all of the oil has been used.
- Mix in the vinegar and salt.
Maille au poivre vert (a green peppercorn mustard) is becoming increasingly difficult to find in the UK, so either make your own as described in the ingredients list or use plain Dijon mustard instead.
I use rapeseed oil because although it is slightly lower in monounsaturated fats than olive oil, it has 3 times the amount of polyunsaturated fats and half the amount of saturated fats. However, use extra virgin olive oil rather than ordinary to give the mayonnaise an olive oil taste.
--JuliaBalbilla 08:31, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- A huge variety of different mayonnaise recipes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.