New York style deli pizza
As with any pizza, you can make it with almost any ingredients. Try and keep the quantities about the same though. You can end up with a damp soggy pizza if you overdo the cheese.
- 1 portion pizza dough - makes 2 pizzas
- 1/2 portion spicy tomato pizza topping (use a jar of shop-bought pizza sauce if you're pushed for time)
- 150g Mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
- 100g from a selection of good quality sliced meats from the deli counter
- 25g of Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Olive oil
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Make the pizza dough as instructed
- If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone under a very hot grill for about 20 minutes. Place it about 8cm (3") from the heat source.
- Make 1 pizza per person
- Preheat the oven to 230° C (450° F - gas 8) or about 9 cm (3") from a very hot grill if using a pizza stone
- Dust the work surface with fine yellow cornmeal and divide your pizza dough into two balls and roll out into two 20 cm (8") rounds
- Prick the pizza all over with a fork. This prevents it puffing up too much and burning while it is cooking.
- Pre-cook the pizza base for about 3 minutes on one side only if using a pizza stone, then remove from the oven, flip and add the topping
- Spread the spicy tomato sauce on the surface of the pizza
- Layer the sliced meats and Mozzarella cheese onto the pizza and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Bake for about 9 to 10 minutes or until the base is crispy and the cheese has melted
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.