Mushrooms in a cucumber sauce
The first thing to say about this recipe is that it tastes much better than it looks! It's also a great recipe for using up cucumbers if you grow them at home, as we do.
- A good grind of black pepper
- 50g [2 oz] butter
- 110 g [4 oz] of oyster mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped
- 1 tablespoon [15 ml] plain flour
- Half a cucumber, de-seeded, peeled and cubed
- 150 ml [1/4 pint] hot vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- sea salt to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Add a good grind of black pepper to a small saucepan
- Melt half of the butter
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter for 4 minutes, turning often
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm
- Melt the remaining butter
- Cook the cucumber cubes until they visibly 'wilt', about 5 minutes, stirring now and then
- Make a roux by sprinkling the flour over the buttery cucumber and mix well so all the fat is absorbed
- Add the dried dill and hot stock and blend into a sauce
- Bring to the boil and then reduce and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in the mushrooms
Serve over barbecued meat or vegetables.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.