Mince pies (1)
This is a slight variation in that it uses puff pastry instead of shortcrust which I think makes them slightly lighter.
It's also cockney rhyming slang and tasty dessert - can you think of any others?
- 1 Packet pre-rolled puff pastry
- 450 g (1 lb) jar of mincemeat
- 55 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) milk
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6 - Moderately hot)
- Beat the egg and add a tiny pinch of salt
- Using a pastry cutter, stamp out 24 x 7.5 cm (3") circles of puff pastry for the bases
- Push the circles into 2 molded baking trays
- Fill each base with 2 teaspoons of mincemeat and brush the edges with a little milk
- Using a pastry cutter, stamp out 24 x 6 cm (2.5") circles of pastry for the lids
- Put the lids on the bases and ensure they are sealed
- Brush the egg mixture over the tops of the pies and sprinkle with a little caster sugar
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool on a raised grid to prevent them sweating
Serve hot with custard
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.