This recipe is absolutely ideal for a barbecue, espcially one with a hotplate
- 4 large tomatoes (plum-type preferred) [about 225 g]
- 2 green sweet peppers [about 175 g]
- 2 fresh poblano chillies [about 110 g]
- 1 large red onion, un peeled
- 2 large garlic cloves, un peeled
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds, ground to a powder is a coffee grinder
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, ground to a powder is a coffee grinder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest and juice from half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 pitted olives (green or black)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Place the whole tomatoes, sweet peppers, chili peppers, onion and garlic on the barbecue hotplate, over the coals or even under an oven grill.
- Turn them often so they are really well charred.
- Remove the vegetables as they are done, the garlic, for instance will be ready before the onion.
- Use the technique shown here, (or your own!), to skin the tomatoes, sweet and hot and peppers. Remove the seeds and stems from the peppers
- Remove the really burnt onion skin.
- Cut all of the vegetables into nibble sized pieces an place in a large serving bowl.
- Squish the garlic from the cloves with a cloth or a palette knife into a small bowl and mix with the garlic pulp.
- Add the lemon juice and zest together with the salt, spices and olive oil. Whisk the dressing and mix in with the grilled, chopped vegetables.
- Garnish with chopped capers and olives
Add sliced hard-boiled eggs to turn this into a main course.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#garlic #vegetables #grilled #onion #zest #tomatoes #barbecue #sweetpeppers #oliveoil #ground #caraway