Masa harina fishcakes
Masa Harina makes the difference
- 1 small squash - about the size of a very large grapefruit
- Olive oil
- 2 fresh salmon fillets
- 6 defrosted king prawns, chopped small.
- A little milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 ladles of masa harina - I'm afraid I never got around to weighing the masa!
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120 g breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5)
- Sauté the onion in a little olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Reserve.
- Place the salmon fillets in a flat dish and add a little milk just so the salmon stays moist.
- Halve the pumpkin and remove the seeds, leave the skin on as it's easier to remove the flesh after cooking than it is to peel first.
- Cut a few slashes in the squash, drizzle with olive oil and season well
- Roast in the top of the oven for 30 minutes or until the flesh is soft
- After the squash has been roasting for 15 minutes, bake the salmon, covered, in the bottom of the oven for the last 15 minutes.
- Scoop the pumpkin flesh into a bowl, add the butter, onions, lemon juice seasoning and chili flakes. mash well.
- Remove the skin from the salmon, drain and flake into the bowl with the squash, add the masa harina and mix well.
- Shape into oval patties, coat with beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the masa harina to absorb the moisture.
- Shallow fry for a few minutes a side turning often.
If you don't want to use an oven, the squash can be sliced and boiled in water as you would potatoes. Leave the skin on for ease of preparation. Half cover the salmon with milk and simmer in a shallow pan for 6 minutes, turning once.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#squash #masaharina #salmon #oliveoil #breadcrumbs #lemonjuice #chiliflakes #salmonfillets #masaharinafishcakes #onion #butter