(Redirected from Lamb stock recipe)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Stocks are a fiddle to make and this, I'm afraid is no exception. However, if you want a recipe for restaurant quality lamb stock, this is it. Freeze in plastic or paper vending-type coffee cups and you won't have to use an stock cubes for months!
- 900 g (2 lb) lamb bones and meat trimmings with any excess fat removed. This calls for a trip to your friendly local butcher!
- Half an an onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick of celery, with leaves, chopped
- 4 button mushrooms, brushed clean and halved
- 2.25 litres (4 pints) of cold water
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of mint
- 2 Cloves of garlic, with skins, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 204° C (400° F - Gas 6)
- Place the bones in a large Roasting tray and roast for 40 minutes
- Drain any fat and reserve
- Add the bones and the remaining ingredients to the largest pan you have, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 3 hours, skimming any scum or surface fat as it appears
- Allow to cool slightly and strain being careful not to disturb the ingredients or force them through the sieve
- Allow to cool properly and remove the remaining surface fat
- Refrigerate or freeze in plastic coffee cups until required
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#fat #lamb #bones #lambstock #stock #pints #boil #simmer #bayleaf #boiledorsimmered #roast