Kröte im Loch
The batter recipe from Delia Smith's famous cook book so has been proven time and again.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 vacuum pack of frankfurters or one tin of frankfurters, drained and rinsed.
- 75 g (3 oz) plain flour, sifted
- 1 large free range egg
- 75 ml (3 fl oz) cold milk
- 55 ml (2 fl oz) water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 a teaspoon of caraway seeds, roughly crushed in a mortar and pestle
- Splash of Louisiana hot pepper sauce or Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Place a roasting tin in the oven and preheat 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Fry the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, in a frying pan for 4 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Meanwhile add the batter ingredients to a food processor and blitz until you have a smooth batter
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the roasting tin and distribute evenly.
- Arrange the frankfurters, onions and garlic evenly in the tray and carefully heat the pan on the top of the oven for a 30 seconds so the oil bubbles then pour the batter mix over the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 220° C (425° F - gas 7) on the highest shelf in the oven until risen
Morrisons - too much salt!
Well it would have been nice and will definitely make it again, however, due to the obscenely high amount of salt in Morrisons "German Frankfurters" it was virtually inedible. And that's from someone who likes lots of salt with his food. Come on Morrisons, in this day and age...
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#frankfurters #krateimloch #garlic #onion #roastingtin #freerangeegg #miseenplace #englishmustard #carawayseeds #americanmustard #plainflour